As you start making a list and checking it twice, there’s a lot to consider: how to find just the right gift for just the right person, one that’s both thoughtful and original, as well as how you use your dollars to support business owners and companies you believe in.
If you’re committed to supporting BIPOC-owned businesses – I know I am – here are 15 BIPOC-owned brands and products I think you’ll love.
Gift Ideas from BIPOC-Owned Businesses
This post may include affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting me and this blog!
Note: there are countless amazing BIPOC-owned companies and BIPOC-led non-profits to support. As a way to give back from any additional revenue I receive from this post, I will be making an extra donation to a non-profit we support monthly, Urban Ventures, who works to address opportunity gaps in academics, nutrition, physical activity, parenting resources and more to youth, with the goal of preparing and sending them to college or postsecondary education.
1. Tiny Tassel
The Tiny Tassel, a bright and cheerful jewelry company, was started by Mimi Striplin in 2015. She was inspired by a pair of earrings she received on her birthday, which got her to start putting her own spin on her earring collection through tassels.
Since she’s based out of Charleston, South Carolina, many of the items in her collection are named after some of her favorite local spots!
Product Pick: The Hasell Tassel Earring
- 3″ long
- 14k gold-plated, nickel-free hardware
- Handmade in Charleston, South Carolina
Meet my friend Jena Holliday, the brains behind Spoonful of Faith. She creates gorgeous illustrations that are found on a variety of products: art prints, calendars, tees and mugs, just to name a few.
Jena is known for her warm, joyful drawings of women and mothers, as well as her floral work and hand-lettered inspirational quotes.
Product Pick: Coffee Mug
- 11 oz Mug
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- White and glossy
3. Jo Saxton
Jo Saxton is an author, speaker, podcaster and entrepreneurial coach. She was born to Nigerian parents, raised in London and now lives in Minneapolis!
I’ve had the joy of hearing Jo speak in person. What a wonderfully witty, insightful, positive breath of fresh air. Both her podcast and her books are worth checking out.
Product Pick: Ready to Rise
- Tackles real-life issues that can discourage and derail women from leading where God has called them
- Step into your full potential that biblically affirms the need for women to rise up and work together to make a better world
Asutra is a women-led and women-owned brand that creates products to help women. What’s better than women empowering women?
They believe in active self care because as we all know, when we take care of ourself we can take on everything else so much better. Fun fact: one of their owners is Venus Williams!
Product Pick: Sleep Tight Kit
- Contains Dream the Night Away melatonin lotion with magnesium, silk eye pillow set, and Pure Soothing Comfort aromatherapy mist
- Paraben free, animal test-free
Kobee’s is an all natural lip balm packaged in a cardboard biodegradable tub, eliminating one more single-use plastic from being stuck on this world. They create super affordable products that are all plastic free. Because, as we know, every little bit helps.
Product Pick: Beeswax Eco Balm
- Made with vitamin E and mango butter
- Perfect set for men, women and kids
- Light eco-friendly chapstick
- Beeswax-based with moisturizers
Wasi Clothing is a brown owned Bolivian-American business based in sunny Los Angeles, California. It’s run by Vanessa Acosta whose mission is to “put Bolivian culture on the map as well as elevating and creating a safe home for people of color and allies to shop.”
Her products are all ethically made and sustainable!
Product Pick: Shape Your Best Life Tee
- Features the “Shape your best life” art in a short sleeve unisex fit
- 100% combed and ring-spun cotton
- Classic unisex fit
- Made in the USA
Brooklyn-based Rayo and Honey is run by Roachele Negron, who was inspired by all of the many affirmations her mom had around her throughout her childhood. She creates pennants by hand-cutting, pressing and sewing 100% cotton canvas and hand-laid laser-cut felt letters, creating a soulful piece with a timeless aesthetic.
Product Pick: Pennant
Hang this pennant where you can be reminded daily of what you already know.
- Made from 100% 10oz cotton canvas
- Machine stitched seaming on all sides with corresponding thread
- Letters are black cut felt, affixed with heat
Bolé Road Textiles is a New York-based design studio that creates vibrant home decor. Vibrant home decor is something you see all over Paisley + Sparrow so yes, these are going on my own wish list!
All of their pieces are handwoven in Ethiopia. (Fun fact: my niece is from Ethiopia!) They create sustainable work for artists in Ethiopia while helping client create spaces they love.
Product Pick: Bertu Pillow
- Handwoven using ultra soft Ethiopian cotton
- Handmade from start to finish, from the harvesting of the cotton to the sewing
- The woven dashes are created with thick cotton yarns, giving this fabric a unique tactile quality
The Black Home, created by celebrity designer Neffi Walker, is all about home decor that’s full of tradition, culture and style.
Neffi is a mother of five, showing all of us mamas that being a mom and business owner is possible. Shop The Black Home for everything from candles to some of the most beautiful tableware I’ve ever seen.
Product Pick: Goddess Candle
- A blend of white tea, jasmine and sandalwood
- Soy and coconut wax blend
- 60+ hours of burn time
10. Tree Fairfax
Tree Fairfax is a shop full of leather goods that are handmade to order. If you love slow fashion then Tree Farifax if for you with each item cut, burnished and sewn by hand!
*Orders placed in October will ship late December into January.
Product Pick: Half Moon Waist/Crossbody Bag
- Made to order
- Minimal design, holds a cellphone, cash/card + key
- Multiple color options: cognac, black, mahogany, russet tan
- Created from leather that has natural markings
It’s not a gift guide from Paisley + Sparrow without a plant! Flora Culture is a plant design center that’s based out of Texas. They started their brand out of a love for plants and floral design and want to make plants accessible to everyone whether or not their good plant people or not!
The Flora Culture provides a variety of plant-y services, from workshops to home plant consultations, as well as an online plant shop.
Product Pick: Philodendron Moonlight 6”
- Medium to low light
- Water weekly
- Glossy, heart shaped leaves
Philadelphia-based Yowie is a home and life shop that curates colorful collections from small business. If you’re not based in Philadelphia, no worries; their online shop is just as colorful and inspiring.
You’ll find a little of everything a home needs at Yowie, from mugs to greeting cards, pots and even bathmats! Founder Shannon Maldonado also consults on interior design for those who want more of her upbeat style.
Product Pick: Ridged Planter
- 6″ pot
- Easy neutral color
13. Strand Texture
Strand Texture makes beautiful fiber art and modern macrame. I love adding fiber art to my home decor for the beautiful texture and warmth it adds to my space. You can get ready-made pieces as well as custom made items!
The owner, Aja Smart, is based out of California. The cotton cord and rope she uses is made of eco-friendly recycled materials.
Product Pick : Marigold Romance
- Dimensions: 10″ wide, 20″ long, add 3″ for hanging cord
- Colors include: natural white, marshmallow, dusty rose, ocher, taupe, garden rose, tan, tangerine and more
Golde was started by Trinity Mouzon Wofford and Issey Kobori in 2017 with the intent to bring good vibes to the wellness industry. They believe that being well should feel good so they create products that not only look good and feel good but also help you feel like your best self.
All of their products are natural, easy to use and fun!
Product Pick: Pure Matcha
- One teaspoon has more caffeine than a shot of espresso (!)
- Natural source of L-Theanine, which promotes serene focus and prevents jitters or caffeine crash
- Rich in chlorophyll, antioxidants and amino acids
- Contains 40 g. of matcha, about 30 servings
Effortless Composition is a collection of hand-selected home decor pieces to help you create a home you love. The owner, Brittiny Terry, believes that creating a home you love should be effortless.
Her shop is full of beautiful pieces rich in aesthetic and high in quality. You even get a free virtual styling session with each purchase!
Product Pick: Stoneware Face Vase
- A muted rose pink with an abstract face design
- Made from ceramic stoneware
I hope this gift guide introduced you to a new brand or two and that you’ll consider supporting one of these amazing brands this holiday season!