The tween years are such a cool time. Kids are growing into themselves and becoming such interesting people.
But it’s also such a mystery to those of us who have blocked those years out of our minds! Tween boys are at an age that they still like some toys, but there’s a minefield of “cringe” gifts you might give without realizing it!
So I asked my nephew for the best ideas that he and his friends would love to receive (and bonus: he gave his own tween boy reasons why they’re the best!).
Paisley + Sparrow is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you.
There are two ways to shop this guide. You can find all the links in one easy-to-shop table below, or you can scroll down to find a little more information about each gift idea! Happy shopping!
Find more gifts for boys in my boys gift guide.
|Product Image||Product Name||Primary Button|
18 Top Gifts for Tween Boys
If you have a kid who has always loved ride-on toys (bikes, scooters, skateboard) and trying new things, the RipStik is a fun outdoor toy for your tween.
Tween boy perspective: “It is kind of like a skateboard but more advanced. I can take it to the skatepark or ride it around the neighborhood.”
- Unique Riding – The 360-degree inclined caster wheels and torsion bar allow for unique twisting and carving that can only be likened to the flow found in surfing and snowboarding
- Smooth and Steady – The 76mm urethane wheels with precision sealed bearings deliver smooth riding,and the slip-resistant pivoting deckprovides maximum grip
- Lightweight Design – With the high-tech polymer construction, the RipStik Classic caster board is lightweight, durableand trickable
- Great for Kids and Adults – Made for ages 8 and up, the RipStik caster board can with stand rider weight up to 220 lbs (100 kg)
2. Technic Legos
Perfect for any boy who likes building (and playing with what he builds!). This line of Lego brand pieces are more technically complex, with rods and different pieces, so older kids can build things that are more advanced.
Tween boy perspective: “It’s like a Lego set, but less easy to break. If I drop it, it won’t break as easy, and it’s more fun to play with.”
- 665 pieces
- Battery operated
- This Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toy model measures over 4.5 in. (12 cm) high, 9.5 in. (24 cm) long and 5 in. (13 cm) wide, making this car a great size for play or display
3. Stuffed Animals
Stuffed animals aren’t just for little kids! Pick out the softest, coolest version of whatever their favorite animal is.
My nephew is as sporty as they come and he will still bring his giant shark to any sleepover at our house. I love that he hasn’t outgrown it yet and that this is on his list!
Tween boy perspective: “It’s kind of like having another friend that’s not human.”
- 12 inches
- Surface washable
4. Magic Kits
They’ll love learning fun new skills that they can show off to their friends. You’ll love seeing them confident and in their element.
Tween boy perspective: “It’s kind of like Harry Potter in real life.”
- Kids will learn the techniques behind many famous magic tricks, including illusions that use cups and balls, a false thumb tip, the ball and vase, a mysterious coin case, and a magic wand.
- Link to step-by-step videos of all 45 tricks performed by a professional magician
5. Nerf Rival Blasters
Nerf shooters are just a classic gift, and a kid can never have enough (you can’t have a Nerf battle without enough Nerf guns for all your friends!).
Tween boy perspective: “I like to pretend to play Star Wars or war with my friends. I also like to practice target shooting outside.”
- Fires rounds at a velocity of 90 feet per second (27 meters per second)
- This breech-load blaster holds up to 5 rounds
- Comes 5 high-impact rounds
- Has a trigger lock, tactical rail, and ready indicator
6. Rubik’s Cube
Could you ever figure out a Rubik’s Cube? See if your tween can! You can watch their brains work (and also try your hand at it). They even sell different shapes these days.
Tween boy perspective: “It helps your focus. It’s fun. It’s kind of like a fidget, but more fun and challenging. It’s like solving a puzzle.”
Well-engineered magic cubes with good cornering and easy smooth twisting, this 5 pack magic cube bundle provides joyful cubing experience. It's a must-have to your collection of speed cubes.
7. Gatorade Water Bottle
Whether they play sports or just carry a water bottle at school, this Gatorade water bottle is a great style for tween boys. It’ll remind them of their favorite athletes, and it’s easy to use.
Tween boy perspective: “It’s just my favorite brand of water bottle. I like the way it looks, and it doesn’t leak until you squeeze it.”
- 30 oz
- Lots of colors
- Compatible with Gx formula pods
8. Fishing Gear
Fishing is such a fun family activity — and if you have a tween, you know how valuable that bonding time is! Invest in some fishing gear so they have their own set and can really get into the hobby.
Tween boy perspective: “I like fishing. It’s something that boys enjoy doing a lot. It’s cool.”
- All-in-one fishing rod and reel combo kit with tackle box including a selection of fishing lures accessories suited to different fishing situations.
- Perfect boys fishing pole for ages 3-15.
9. Football Trading Cards
These cards are fun to collect, there’s a huge variety, and kids can trade with their friends.
Tween boy perspective: “All boys my age like football cards. It’s kind of like the new Pokemon cards.”
- 100 new and vintage NFL trading cards
- Every Pack is Guaranteed to have 2 Official NFL Autographed, Jersey or Relic cards
10. Basketball Shoes
Are you finally entering the time of life when you can buy your kid shoes and it isn’t a totally lame gift?! Well, if you get the right basketball shoes, that’s the case!
Look through all the options out there with your tween to get an idea of his style so you can pick the winning present.
- Rubber sole
- Men's basketball shoes for all-game comfort
- Regular fit
- Dual-material mesh upper offers breathable comfort
- Lightmotion cushioning enhances dynamic movements; Adiwear outsole provides durable grip
11. Football Jerseys
This will be your kid’s new favorite shirt — just make sure you know their favorite team and player!
Want to take it over the top? Gift them game tickets too!
- Machine wash with garment inside out, tumble dry low
- Officially licensed
- Tagless Collar
12. Wings of Fire Books
One of the awesome things about the tween years is that they can read independently and there are really cool books out there that are perfect for them to lose themselves in.
Tween boy perspective: “If you like Harry Potter — mystical and cool things — I think you would like this too.”
- Grade level 3-7
- 5 book boxset
13. Archery Set
Take your foam dart battles up a notch with a bow and arrow set! It adds a little bit of a challenge and could turn into a fun hobby.
- Package contains 1 main bow body, 10 suction cup arrows, target and quiver. 2*AA batteries needed( not included).
14. A Watch
As kids get more independent, a watch will come in handy for all kinds of things. They can keep track of the time while they’re at school or with friends, can set alarms, and use the stopwatch to time races, games or experiments.
I bought my nephew a watch before school this year and he loves it! My sister mentioned that he doesn’t go anywhere without it and he utilizes the alarm and other feature often.
- Digital display
- LED back light
- 12/24 hour
- 50M waterproof
15. Tadd Toy
Video games are always a hit (but not always affordable). This is a great option for road trips, boring errands or just regularly scheduled screen time.
Tween boy perspective: “It’s a less expensive version of a Nintendo Switch.”
- Battery good for 4-6 hours
- 200 built-in non-repeating classic games
- 6 types of games: puzzle, action, education, sports, leisure, and tabletop
16. 3D printer
OK, I want this for myself! This amazing 3-D pen lets you “draw” with plastic to create figurines, models, buildings, whatever you can think of!
Tween boy perspective: “I have this on my list.”
- Includes 3 colors (30 feet) of PLA plastic to keep you Doodling for ages, as well as a power adapter, step-by-step manual, and a free stencil guide.
- Just plug in, heat it up and enjoy the fun of creating three-dimensional masterpieces.
- PLA is a versatile, easy-to-use printing plastic that is great for both first time and advanced users.
17. Soccer Rebounder
If you’re looking for a big gift for Christmas morning for a sports lover, this rebounder net is ideal. It can be used for all kinds of sports practice in your backyard and will help keep your kids active.
- For goalkeepers, this rebounder net can help improve their tossing power and arm strength.
- For field players, it can enhance passing, heading, trapping, shooting, ball striking, and can increase leg strength.
18. Wingfeather Saga
I love book gifts. It’s a gift for the parent and the kid! This exciting series is sure to keep your tween’s interest.
Tween boy perspective: “It’s an adventure book series that is really cool.”
- 4 novels in hardcover
- Reading age 8-12
The Ultimate Gift Guide List
Want even more gift ideas for everyone on your list? Head to one of these!
Gift Guides for Grown Ups
- Gift Guide for Women
- Gift Guide for Men
- Teacher Gifts
- Gifts for Your Sister-in-Law
- Beauty and Self Care Gifts
Gift Guides for Babies & Kids
- Gift Guide for Girls
- Gift Guide for Boys
- Tween Girl Gift Ideas
- Tween Boy Gift Ideas
- Gifts for Toddlers
- Gifts for 3 Year Old Boys
- Gifts for 3 Year Old Girls
- Ride on Toys for a 1 Year Old
- Best Climbing Toys for Young Kids
- The Best Puzzles for Toddlers + Kids
- Best 1st Baby Doll
- Baby Walker Toys for New Walkers
Special Interest Gift Guides
Want FREE Christmas gift tags? I created 64 beautiful gift tags that can be used not only for Christmas but every holiday! They’re free to download!
Get your gift cards in your inbox!