Let’s face it. Styling fine hair is hard. Very hard. While a range of hairstyles and hair tools do complement our fine or thin hair and make us look classy and elegant, they usually cause hair damage.
So, what should we do? Should we just put our hair in a ponytail and call it a day?
No, ma’am. Like Chris King said, “Mama Didn’t Raise No Quitter.”
Fine hair is more susceptible to damage, but with the right products and tools, you can straighten and style your hair with ease and with little to no chances of damage.
Finding the right flat iron for the job, however, can be tricky. To save you the hours of research, I’ll be sharing reviews of flat irons I’ve personally used as well as ones friends, family and my hair stylist use or recommend. Read on to learn more!
Flat Irons and Fine Hair
With so many products spread across different brands, finding a flat iron for your fine hair is quite the task.
Here are some important things to look for.
Look for ceramic plate flat irons. They distribute heat evenly without causing hair damage. A ceramic plate and tourmaline combo may also help deal with your wavy or curly hair woes.
Whatever plate material you go with, always keep the temperature to the lowest possible setting. A lower temperature will ensure less damage to your hair while high temperatures will do maximum amount of damage!
Use heat protection sprays before and finishing products after to give your hair maximum protection from damage.
What to Consider When Buying a Flat Iron
Do you plan on using the flat iron occasionally or are you the kind that wants to look your impeccable best at work every day with every strand in place?
Either way, the lightweight flat iron certainly seems a better choice compared to a complete powerhouse that causes arm fatigue five minutes in. It’s convenient to use, especially when you’re dealing with extremely stubborn hair that takes a long time to tame.
(I use my flat iron to straighten out the ends of my hair when I curl it and smooth the pieces near my face!)
The size of the plate is the one deciding factor most people have trouble with. If you have short, thick hair or fine hair that requires you to start close to the scalp, a smaller plate is best as it offers precision, slow movement, and even heating. These plates are sized between 0.5 and 0.75 inches.
If you have very long hair, a large-bodied iron is likely to get you through the process faster. Large plates range from 1.25 to 2.5 inches.
For casual, everyday use, the regular hair iron with a 1-inch plate should do.
The plate’s material plays a crucial role in delivering results. Flat irons made with ceramic offer faster results in less time and even heat distribution. This minimizes the risk of hair damage. It’s one of the reasons why ceramic is often touted as the best plate material for fine hair types.
While ceramic irons generally tend to offer better results on thin and fine hair types, if they come with mediocre controls and safety features, please look at other options. You may consider using titanium and ceramic tourmaline plates flat irons. These are great for damage-prone hair and great styling.
Controls and Safety Features
Some hair straighteners are easier to use than others. For example, features like non-slip handles and greater accessibility of controls serve to make the straightening process easier.
Non-slip handles offer a secure grip, greatly reducing the chances of the hair straightening tool slipping off your hand and causing burns. Great control button placement, on the other hand, ensures you don’t accidentally press incorrect buttons while using the flat iron.
11 Best Flat Irons for Fine Hair
Paisley + Sparrow is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you.
Let’s check out some of the best hair straighteners on the market!
Smart, personalized heat. Beautiful results. T3 HeatID intelligently personalizes 9 heat settings to your hair type with a touch of the screen ensuring optimal heat for smooth styles in one pass. Heat just got personal.Voltage: 100-240V
I own so many T3 products (including this flat iron, curling iron trio – review here!) and love them all! T3 is well known for making amazing products that not only do the job intended but also keeping your hair healthy and beautiful.
This flat iron as an automatic heat setting personalization – it personalizes 9 heat settings to give you the smoothest, sleekest look with just one pass of your iron.
Input your texture, length and if it is color treated for your flat iron to customize the heat specific for your hair. It’s magic!
- 2 Year Warranty
- Refresh mode (uses negative ions to refresh your style)
- 9 Heat settings
- 1 hour automatic shut off
- Adjusting temperature can be confusing
ghd Platinum+ is the world's first SMART HAIR STRAIGHTENER that predicts your hair needs. The HAIR STYLER heat is monitored 250 times per second through its predictive technology for ultimate results and stronger, healthier hair.
This flat iron is recommended by my own hair stylist! ghd Platinum Professional Performance Hair Styler uses ultra-predictive technology to straighten sections of fine tresses while maintaining consistent temperatures on both plates. It also monitors the temperature 250 times/second but has only 1 temperature to its name—365° Fahrenheit.
The ghd hair styler uses ceramic floating plates paired with advanced technology to offer 2x protection while making your tresses 20% shinier and 70% stronger. It also recognizes the speed of your styling and adapts to your hair’s thickness.
This hair styler runs a bit on the expensive side but with its unique set of features, it’s definitely worth every penny.
- Beautiful design
- Uses advanced technology to straighten locks
- Offers protection against hair damage
The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Ultra-Thin hair straightener has a slim design that helps eliminate hand fatigue while increasing styling flexibility. Create pin-straight styles with this fast-performing flat iron.Heat-resistant ryton housing
Another one recommended by my hair styles is the BaByliss Pro. The BaBylissPro Nano Titanium Straightener uses the latest technology to make styling super fun and easy.
It is sleek, durable, and is designed with ultra-thin corrosion-resistant titanium plates to offer even heat distribution quickly and efficiently without damaging your hair.
With 50 heating settings that can go up to 450° Fahrenheit, this titanium straightener is a complete powerhouse. You can easily select the lowest temperature to style your fine hair without the risk of overheating.
BaBylissPro has an ergonomic, ultra-thin design that makes it easy to hold and use for long periods. It’s also incredibly versatile. You can use it to create a range of hairstyles, right from curls to beach waves.
- Comes with a three-year warranty
- Uses corrosion-resistant titanium plates for even heat distribution
- Ergonomic and compact design
- Fast And Effective: Smooth or curl hair with ease with this chic styling iron; Far infrared technology heat penetrates hair quickly and evenly, creating less damage no matter how you decide to style
- Temperature Control: Four temperature settings up to 450F and automatically shuts off when not in use for 60 minutes; Titanium plates easily glide over hair to take your styling to the next level
- More Features: This Professional Styling Iron auto shuts off when it is not in use for 60 minutes and comes with a tangle free cord that is ideal for curling or smoothing all locks with ease
- Professional Tools: Our extensive selection of professional hair styling tools is designed with the latest technology and quality components so you can achieve consistent results every time you style
- Unexpected Luxury: Explore our complete line of high performance professional hair care products; Whether you are a hairdresser or a consumer, our tools will give you the confidence to get the look you desire
Another recommendation by hair stylist is the Usmooth Professional Styling Iron. It has titanium coated plates that will smoothly glide through your hair with ease and infrared technology that does the job in one swift glide.
It boasts 4 temperature settings up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit that is great for all hair types! This flat iron heats up quickly – to 290 degrees in 30 seconds and maximum heat in 60 seconds.
- Shuts off after 60 minutes
- Tangle free cord
- No slip grip
The Rusk Iron is the one that I’ve personally used the longest! It’s lasted me years and years and does a great job for straightening my hair.
It sports 1-inch plates made of tourmaline ceramic. It’s a highly durable tool that removes frizz and static, prevents heat damage, and seals the cuticle. The natural ions and far-infrared heat offer instant and flawless results.
The device uses special technology to offer even heat distribution and can heat up to 450° Fahrenheit. This gives you impressive results, one straightening session after the other.
The flat iron tool is like a mini flat iron and thus, lightweight and easier to use. It also comes with a swivel power cord for a tangle-free straightening experience and has easily accessible controls. If you struggle with frizzy hair, take the Rusk Straight Iron for a quick drive and watch it work wonders for your hair.
Rusk flat iron runs on the expensive side, but with its 2-year warranty protection and great hair straightening benefits, it’s an investment worth making.
- Accessible controls
- Comes with an impressive 2-year warranty
- Offers flawless results
- Eliminates frizz and statics
- Lacks an automatic shut-off feature
- Plates require firm pressure to straighten fine hair
- Ceramic heater with advanced technology and 60 second heat up for faster styling
- 1″ Ceramic Curved Floating Plates for Better Grip
- Digital LCD Display
- Heats up to 425°F (218°C)
- 9 ft. (2.9 m) professional swivel cord
My sister-in-law has used the older version of this CHI for years (hers is photographed below!) and years and swears by it! CHI Original Digital Ceramic Iron heats up in only 60 seconds.
Made with 1-inch wide ceramic curved floating plates, the CHI Ceramic flat iron offers a smooth glide and snag-free straightening experience and a classy finish few flat irons can measure up to.
The CHI flat iron has a dual voltage feature to its name and has different temperature settings with different heat levels for fine, medium, and thick hair.
The device is lightweight, easy to use, sports an ergonomic design, and comes with a 1-hour auto-shut-off safety feature.
- Heats quickly with the help of advanced ceramic heated technology
- Full customization options are available
Titanium plates delivers heat faster. Digital display + 4 temperature pre-sets allow you to customize the temperature to your hair type and texture.
The flat iron that my sister, who also has very fine hair, uses is Kristin Ess! We have very similar hair types and she had very short hair for quite a long time and used this flat iron for both her short and long hair.
This flat iron has titanium plates that heat up quick and deliver even heat throughout. It has negative ions with help with keeping in moisture which prevents your hair from getting frizzy. It also increases the shine in your hair.
This flat iron has a digital display along with 4 preset temperatures and an automatic shut off after just 30 minutes!
- Shut off after 30 minutes
- Heat resistant cap
- 9 foot swivel cord
- No dual voltage
- Some people report it snags hair
- Kinder 1" Flat Iron For Fine Hair: 3 fine hair friendly heat settings safeguard thin, easily damaged hair and add shine; Heat ranges from 295F to 375F providing gentle heat with Auto Off
- Gentler 1" Flat Iron For Fine Hair: Rounded edges on the ceramic coated flat iron plates won't pull or snag, thus no breakage
- Smarter 1" Flat Iron For Fine Hair: Almond and aloe vera infused, ceramic coated straightening plates fight frizz, minimize damage, and maximize shine
The Conair OhSoKind Flat Iron, designed with one-inch ceramic-coated iron plates, straightens your hair effectively with minimum breakage. This innovative ceramic flat iron is infused with almond and aloe vera that hydrates your hair and adds maximum shine to your straight hair.
The OhSoKind Flat Iron has 3 different heat settings with the lowest setting (295° Fahrenheit) being the most suitable for fine hair. The highest setting works beautifully with thick hair. The hair-friendly heat settings protect thin, flyaway strands of hair to help you create frizz-free hairstyles quickly and effectively.
The rounded edges of the OhSoKind Flat iron help prevent snagging and complement its beautiful overall design of turquoise and silver details against a white background.
- Adds luster to your hair
- 3 hair-friendly heat settings
- Prevents snagging and breakage
- Made with cheap materials
- Anti-static technology - The technology in this flat iron delivers 50% LESS static and fewer flyaway
- 1" Long Ceramic plates - The long, thin plates are perfect for detailed styling and control, with a smooth glide that's comfortable for straightening or curling.
- 2x more Tourmaline - Tourmaline is a semiprecious gemstone that, when heated, aids in reducing static and frizz while styling.
- 410 Degree high heat - High heat works quickly to straighten hair with each pass, helping to prevent overexposure to heat.
- Digital controls - Easily find the right temperature for your hair type with the digital controls and LCD screen.
The Remington S5500 Anti-Static Flat Iron, true to its name, is designed to give you less static and flyaways. It does that by minimizing the amount of negatively charged particles by 50%. The ceramic plates of the anti-static flat iron come with a titanium coating which, in addition to offering controlled and quick heating, gives a smooth styling effect.
Remington’s digital controls and LCD screen allow users to manipulate the 6 different heat settings (up to 410° Fahrenheit) with ease. It also comes with a turbo boost function that allows you to skip to the highest heat quickly. The hair tool also features 1-inch wide floating plates that make styling a breeze. The thin, long plates can also be used to create curls and waves.
Did we mention that it has a 60-minute auto-shut-off option and a 30-second heat-up time? Talk about maximum safety protection. It’s easy to see why it’s one of the bestselling flat irons on the market today.
- 6 heat settings
- Digital controls
- Heats fast and has an even distribution of heat
- 360° swivel cord for easy use
- 60-minute auto shut-off
- Not dual-voltage
- Low-quality plastic cover
- ONLY ONE STEP: FURIDEN professional hair straightening with directional switch new design, only one step to rotate clockwise to desired salon high heat. The Revolutionary One Step straightener and Styler gives you ultra-smooth silky hair with the touch of a button.
- LESS TIME: FURIDEN best flat iron with MCH, a new heating standard for hair appliance. This flat iron curler heats quickly in 15s, Save Energy, More Durable, Lasts Longer, significantly reduces overall straightening, hair styling time compared to conventional hair straighteners.
- NO SNAGGING & NO TUGGING: FURIDEN 360°swivel long cord flat iron for women with floating plates ，balanced heat plates that move when you do. The floating plates with curved edges continuously adjust the angle to avoid snagging your hair to give you more control while styling.
The Furiden Professional Hair Straightener is a professional-grade 2-in-1 ceramic tourmaline flat iron. In addition to taming all hair types and textures, this 1-inch hair straightener also doubles up as a hair curler. This gives users greater versatility in creating hairstyles.
The Furiden Hair Straightener generates a high level of heat in 15 seconds. The heat levels range from 250 to 450° Fahrenheit and come with adjustable temperature settings so you can easily reduce or increase the temperature according to your hair needs. You can also keep a check on the temperature settings through its built-in LCD.
The device is designed to offer users ease of use with its 360-degree swivel cord. It also has a dual voltage feature that makes it easy to use the device anywhere in the world.
- Works well for all hair types
- The rounded design helps easily create bouncing curls
- Two floating plates minimize the risk of hair tugging and snagging
- Straightens in 4-5 strokes
- ❤ Instant Heating Technology - Heat up 450F° in only 60 seconds for shiny and smoothly straightening.
- ❤ Keratin Negative Ion - Make hairstyles less frizzy, eliminates static and keeps hair well-hydrated.
- ❤ 3D Floating Plates - Adjust to tension and eliminate snagging for an easy glide to style all looks.
- ❤ Auto Shut-off - Turn automatically off after 60 minutes for extra peace of mind to prevent damage.
- ❤ Temperature Memory - whatever temp is once press (M) the hair straightener will go quickly up to 390℉.
The MHU Keratin Ion Flat Iron boasts versatile functionality and a great set of features to go along with it. It works well for short hair, long hair, thick hair, coarse hair and fine hair. The flat iron comes with ceramic plates that take only 30 seconds to heat up and deliver smooth results.
The temperature settings can be adjusted according to your hair needs. You can choose anywhere between 285 to the maximum temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit based on your choice of hairstyle. The 1-inch ceramic plates deliver instant heat, so if you have fine hair, you may want to opt for the lowest possible setting to minimize the risk of damage.
The MHU Flat iron also comes with a 60-minute auto-shut-off feature that works well for safety. That’s not all. Its safe design and ceramic construction also ensure that you enjoy a smooth process without snagging, tugging, or pulling your hair. It’s fairly easy to use, too.
- 60-minute auto-shut-off feature for safety
- Delivers instant heat
- Suitable for all hair types
- Adjustable temperature settings
- No locking feature when not in use
Tips for Using a Flat Iron on Fine Hair
Invest in A Good Flat Iron
A good flat iron, particularly one with ceramic plates, will offer even heat distribution, minimize risks of hair damage, and hold up to 5 to 10 years. So if a flat iron meets all your requirements but runs on the heavier side, don’t hesitate to make that investment.
Take Your Time
Straightening your hair to give it a salon-like finish is appealing to everybody, but the time and effort? Not as much!
However, it’s always best to take time with the process. Even if your device has 3 heat settings, make sure to use the one that is recommended for your hair type to minimize the risk of breakage and damage. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Split Your Hair Into Small Sections
Splitting your hair into manageable sections gives you more control by helping you monitor how you use your device on specific parts of your hair. For example, you would be more cautious when you’re ironing the strands of your hair near your ears than you are with the strands at the back of your head.
Apply A Heat Protector
A heat protector, like Bumble and Bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer, can help protect your hair against damage. Make sure to apply it to your hair, not your scalp. The latter would only serve to make your hair look greasy.
Just spray throughout your hair in layers and brush it in before styling. It works like a charm.
Use Finishing Products
Our hair gets exposed to chemicals and is stripped of its natural oils when we straighten it using a flat iron. Using finishing products after the hair straightening process may offer protection against hair damages.
When looking for finishing products, make sure to check the ingredient list. This can help you determine whether the product will offer hair health benefits or make your hair look greasy and cause buildup.
With the tools and tips discussed above, finding and using a hair straightener for your fine hair should be easier than ever.
While the recommendations all focus on styling your hair perfectly while protecting it from damage due to heat, you should still do your research and weigh in your options before you make a purchase. After all, nobody knows your hair better than you!
If you love hair powders, be sure to check out the best hair powders for volume and texture!