Hair clips are making an undeniable and fun comeback. Whether it’s large claw clips, hair barrettes, butterfly clips, or hair combs, the beloved hair trends from the ’90s and Y2K eras are back.
A simple clip can instantly transform your look from basic to effortless, which is why they are quickly becoming a favorite go-to styling accessory for any hair type.
Hair accessories, however, have always been a challenge for those of us with thin or fine locks. Knowing what clips will stay in place in your silky hair or are small enough not to overpower thinner strands can feel defeating sometimes. But there are so many fun, unique, and pretty options to choose from!
That’s why I’m sharing some of the best hair clips and tips for finer hair! I hope you’ll find the perfect hair accessories for your style and your fine strands.
25 Best Hair Clips for Thin & Fine Hair
Paisley + Sparrow is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you.
- Premium Matte Finish: Made by soft matte rubber coating and powerful metal spring, big hair clips are non slip and won't shatter easily, can grip your hair tightly without snagging hair or slipping out from hand when wet, hard to break. These large matte claw clips are aesthetic accessories for women, that is what you are looking for.
- One Size Fits All: The jumbo hair clip is long enough to fit for any hair types like thick, thin, curly, straight, wavy, long or fine hair. Large hair clips claw teeth design aims to hold hair in place, lightweight to wear all day without making headache. Extra large claw clips for thick hair long hair women.
- Big Size & Trendy Colors: 4.33*1.85*1.97''. Large hair claw clips that girl aesthetic stuff, have 4 colors, including Pink, Khaki, Green and Black neutral claw clips. Both practical and aesthetic to match different fashion outfits, dating hairstyles and different outgoing needs. Better matte hair clips make life beautiful.
- Need it Everyday: The giant claw clip provides a quick casual style or semi-formal updo, is suitable for thick hair or curly hair women to keep hair tidy when in bathroom (shower), home, office, kitchen and other places. Jaw clips are perfect for washing face, morning beauty routine, making up, cooking or keeping hair dry when bath.
- Hair Accessories for Women: Our long hair clips are comfortable and flexible, an ideal hair styling accessories gift for women, need it everyday. Curly hair clips are all wrapped with a gift box to make sure jaw clips are in a good condition during delivery. Go and find your jumbo claw clip with us.
When looking for the best claw clips for fine hair, clips with close or interlocking teeth are a great choice to secure your hair better. Thin hair slides right out if a clip has large gaps between the prongs.
This clip has tight, interlocked teeth that will grab your fine hairs and keep them in place. Because it’s a long and thin clip, it’s a perfect option for up-dos and French twists.
I own these and they work great on my thin, fine hair!
- Interlocking teeth
- Goes with any outfit
- Doesn’t work with short hair
- Fashion Pattern: With 6 fashion tortoise shell patterns, pretty and exquisite, these hair clips are ideal for both girls and women.
- Comfortable to Wear: With novel design and smooth surface, they won’t pull or damage your hair.
- Premium Quality: Made of premium acrylic, they are durable enough for long time and repeated use.
- Thin & Thick Hair: With 2.2-inch length and claw design, they are good for both thin and thick hair.
- Hassle-Free Warranty: We stand firmly behind our products. Each Funtopia product comes with 12 months warranty. For quality related issues, a replacement or refund is allowed.
If you want something smaller, these tortoise shell pattern clips are perfect for you! They’re 2.2 inches in length but still secure the hair super well.
This comes in a pack of 6 different colors. I also own these clips and wear them weekly!
- Interlocking teeth
- Smaller size
- Pack of 6 for versatility
- Doesn’t work with short hair
- 【Novelty And Fashion Design】Our hair clips is trendy and prettty, dress-up with them, helps you become the charming and fashionable.
- 【Comfortable Hair Clips】 The smooth surfaces of the hair barrettes make you feel comfortable and can hold on handle thick or thin hair, straight or curly hair, not slip off easily.
- 【Variety Of Styles】The fashion hair clips set comes with 20 pieces hair barrettes in 20 different styles and color to meet your various needs .
- 【Wonderful Gift】 The sweet macaron hair clips is an ideal gift for girlfriends, family members, classmates ,they will love your sweet gift.
- 【Unique】These hairclips are very cute, have nice color and unique styles.They can match your variety earrings.
If you want to buy just one pack of hair clips and get a ton of different options, check out this one! This set comes with 20 different hair clips that are all coordinating.
There’s a mix of bobby pin style as well as alligator clips and barrettes. I own these and use them in both my hair and my daughters hair all the time!
- Tons of different options
- Multiple different clip styles
- Great for all hair lengths
- Bobby pin ones are super tight which makes them stay in tight but harder to get out.
If you are looking for a hair accessory to add a small “Je ne sais quoi” to your look, these small French barrettes are beautiful. The come in 4 different colors and patterns, and have a strong hold for a half-up hairstyle on fine thin hair.
- Beautiful and chic design
- Smaller size so fits better in thin hair
- Only works with small sections of hair
These hair claws look like octopus legs, hence its fun name. They wrap around your hair really well — the smaller ones in the set even have two layers of teeth — which creates a very secure, interlocking grip.
- Very secure
- Comfortable fit
- Does not work with short hair
For shorter hairstyles and half-dos, opt for these smaller versions of octopus claw clips.
- Works for very thin hair
- Cannot hold long hair wrapped up
The spider clip is another name for the octopus claw clips, because of how its interlocking teeth resemble spider (or octopus) legs. This one is made in France and has lovely colors.
- Fits securely in hair
- Chic metal and neutral colors go with anything
- Only works for long hair
These clips are perfect for thin and short hair, and for when you want to pull bangs out of the way or wear a simple half-do.
- Works perfectly for short hair
- Does not keep thick hair secure
9. Banana Clip
If you are reaching for a banana clip, opt for a smaller one with teeth on the clips for an extra firm hold. This one has teeth on both sides and interlocks and snaps at the ends, creating a snug fit.
- Quick and easy to use
- Goes with any outfit
- Teeth on both sides
- Does not hold thick hair
The design of this clip is large enough to hold up twisted hair and show off the design of a French Twist. It creates an effortless and chic look, especially with the metal element. Because the teeth are closely linked, this should hold your finer hair in place if you twist it up to create a thicker illusion.
- Interlocked teeth for secure fit
- Beautiful design that goes with anything
- Not suitable for short hair
- Only works in a twist for thin hair
As soon as I saw this one, it was love at first sight. This is the perfect spring/summer clip, and with Y2K fashion on the rise, it is sure to turn heads.
- Can dress up or dress down
- Many colors
- It’s a trend and could lose its appeal quickly
A smaller version of the larger butterfly clip, you can attach these clips to smaller strands of hair without fear of them falling out. You can wear just one or wear a dozen or more at once. Relive and make all your ’90s and 2000s dreams come true.
- Perfect for small strands of hair
- Fun and colorful design
- Cannot hold thick amounts of hair
13. Curved Hair Clip
The design of this clip is perfect for on the go when you just need to put your hair up but still want to look stylish. It’s designed to grip a thicker amount of hair, even for fine hair, and stay in place.
- No slip
- Unique design
- Easy to style
- Not suitable for short hair
14. Snap Clips
These are a basic, must-have clip. Whether it’s for styling or keeping your hair out of the way for your skincare routine, these will keep your strands nicely tucked out of the way, down to the smallest stray strand.
- Their tight snap will keep your locks in place
- May crimp hair
15. Hair Combs
Hair combs are probably one of the trickiest hair accessories to shop for if you have fine and thin hair. Because there is nothing about the comb that snaps, locks, or grips, finding a comb that will stay put in your baby fine locks is a challenge.
Fortunately, they make combs that are specifically non-slip that are suitable for finer hair. These are a great pair if you’re looking to accessorize your hair with a hair comb.
- Small enough to be secure
- Can fall out more easily than other hair accessories depending on how you style your hair
If you have thin and short hair, these hair clips are the perfect shape and size to keep your locks in place. They are a unique shape and design as well, which can quickly and easily elevate a look.
- Small enough shorter hair
- Unique design
- Not ideal for thicker locks
Every person needs some good basic bobbies. It’s hard to find ones that won’t always slide out. These bobby pins are waved, which adds a grip to the pin.
Another easy hack for bobby pins in thin hair is to criss-cross your bobby pin with another to keep it snug and from falling out of your hair.
- Secure and strong grip
- Keeps small strands in place
- Only comes in black
For more decorative and creative bobby pin fun, these beautiful butterfly pins will have you feeling like a fairy in her butterfly garden. Perfect for special occasions, dressing up events, photoshoots, festivals, etc.
- Unique and whimsical accessory
- Not for keeping styles like buns in place and secure
19. Alligator Clips
- 1.【Anti-Slip & No Hurt Hair】 With a professional silicone band design, our clips don't slip and the grip is tight, perfect for big or small sections of hair, no matter wet or dry hair, maintaining the hair in place; Also, it doesn’t pull your hair, which makes this styling hair clips very simple to use.
- 2.【Non-Trace】With the silicone band, it will not leave trace on your hair. Great for anyone who likes to curl or style their hair and need clips to hold up while styling.
- 3.【Hold Large Amount Hair】Having a strong spring, our clips can hold a large amount of hair, your hair will not loose. Whether long or short hair, it can hold them in place.
- 4.【Wide Usages】 Good for women and men with long or short, curling or straight hair during hair styling and sectioning, placing your hair well, keeping your hairstyle fresh and amazing, very useful for home or barbershop using, buy them right now.
- 5.【Safe Shopping】 For whatever reason you don’t love our hair clips, let us know, we will address your issue within 24 hours and give you a satisfactory resolution ASAP, no questions asked. Click the "Add to Cart" Button NOW, Buy in confidence.
Alligator clips are the easiest way to put hair up and out of the way. Because the clip is long and thin, it’s perfect for thin and fine hair. The teeth on the sides make it extra secure.
You can of course use this during your getting-ready routine (like hair stylists do during a haircut), but you can also style it for a chic look.
I own these and use them daily! I use them in the shower after applying conditioner to prevent my hair from getting wet, for holding hair back when blow drying or styling and so much more.
- Secured grip
- Simple but can be chic
- Not good for very thick hair
20. Bridal Hair Comb
With combs for fine hair, it’s best to opt for smaller ones. The bigger the comb, the heavier it will be and more likely it will fall out.
This beautiful piece will add an elegance to your look without being too big and putting it at risk of falling out of your hair. The teeth are designed to sit securely in your hair.
- Teeth long and secure enough to fit securely
- Simple and elegant design
- Cannot be worn without hair styled or else it falls out
The curved pins will keep these lovely hair pieces in your locks for a special day or special occasion. You can wear them on their own or in any hairstyle.
- Shape of pins create secure fit
- Elegant and timeless design
- Usually only worn for formal events
Just like the large claw and French twist clips, these pearl hair clips can hold your hair up and dress up any style instantly. And who doesn’t love a classic pearl look?
- Interlocking teeth for secure fit
- Long enough for up-dos and French Twists
- Classic pearl barrettes dress up casual or formal looks
- Not ideal for shorter hairstyles
These clips are tight and snug and are perfect if you have short and thin hair. These are a classic option, but the hair clip set is a great deal!
- Small size works for shorter hairstyles
- Perfect for half-do styles
- Not ideal for French twist or up-do styles with large sections of hair
Magnetic clips are a creative alternative to conventional clips, especially if you have a sensitive head. Because these clips don’t have to be situated against the head, the clips can hang comfortably from your strands without falling or tugging at your scalp.
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t tug hair
- Cannot hold hair up
25. Pearl Hair Clips
- Style: Different shapes and styles. Suitable for all your outfits!
- Gift Package: Come with an elegant gift box. Suitable for sending your friends as a wonderful gift!
- Wide application: These fashionable pearl clips can fit most hair styles and be used in the various occasion in evening parties, wedding, proms, work, school, holiday and so on.
Last but certainly not least is these pearl clips! These come in both bobby pin and barrette style and are perfect for every day wear as well as for dressier occassions.
- Easy to use
- Great for long and short hair
- Bobby pin style can be hard to remove.
How do you use a claw clip in thin hair?
The way you style a claw clip will help the clip stay in place, regardless of the clip size and style. Simply grab and twist to create thickness for the clip to grab onto and clamp.
You can pull and twist all your hair for an up-do/French Twist, you could pull half of your hair up for a half-do, or you could use a smaller clip to pin your bangs out of the way. There are many fun options!
How do you use a banana clip in thin hair?
Banana clips are going to be narrower and longer than claw clips, making them ideal for thinner hair types. Because the interlocking jaws snap at the end of the clip, finding a clip narrow enough will keep your hair back and in place.
Gather your hair and adjust the clip to fit and snap it to keep in place. Look for banana clips that are tight and have teeth on both sides. A strong clasp is a must.
How do you do a French twist with thin hair?
Grab your hair in the back as if you are pulling back a ponytail, begin twisting, and make sure the twisted hair is lying flat against your head as you twist it up.
If it’s long enough, you can flip it so the hair fits nicely in the clip. Or you can leave the extra hair at the end hanging out for a more relaxed look. I suggest flipping it to create an illusion of thicker hair.
Take your clip and clamp in place for the most effortless and chic hair look. This style works for any outfit and occasion.
How do I get my hair clip to stay in thin hair?
Look for fully interlocking teeth or closely spaced teeth in a clip. The way you style a claw clip will also help the clip stay in place. Simply grab and twist to create thickness for the clip to grab onto.
Finding hair clips with materials such as silicone or rubber, or looking for keywords like “non-slip”, “grip”, or “fine hair” in a clip will ensure a snugger fit.
Use texturizing spray or even tease your hair a bit if you’re creating a look for an event. This will create texture for the clips to grab onto.
Do hair clips cause breakage?
Hair clips are definitely a better choice for fine and thin hair because they are healthier for your hair than hair ties. Most hair stylists will encourage clips over hair ties for most hair types, especially for thinner and finer hair.
Hair ties pull on your scalp, taking hairs out with it. Hair clips will keep those baby fine hairs healthy and strong.
If you have thin hair, be sure to check out one of these posts!