Bike shorts are all the rage now! Once just for bike rides or ’90s workout videos, bike shorts are now a current athleisure trend.
Whether you’re a serious cycler, want some longer shorts for the gym or your workout, or just want some for everyday wear in the summer months, you’re bound to be comfortable and stylish.
These long spandex shorts were fashionable in the late ’80s and ’90s. Princess Diana was often photographed on her way to the gym wearing bike shorts with an oversized sweatshirt. Sarah Jessica Parker would pair these shorts with an oversized blazer.
But the trend started to come back in 2018, and now you can find women all over wearing cute matching sports bra and bike shorts sets, a big T-shirt or crop top over cycle shorts, and basically any other style you can think of!
Paisley + Sparrow is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you.
Cycling shorts are the best because you can wear them for all kinds of things — lounging at home, running errands, all kinds of workouts.
So get in on the style and find your new favorite among the best bike shorts for women, whether it’s for biking, yoga or brunching.
Considerations When Buying Bike Shorts
When when looking for the best bike shorts to buy, there are a few things you’ll want to consider. A lot of it depends on what you plan to do while wearing the shorts. Are they for fashion or exercise?
First, look at the material. Moisture-wicking fabric is your best bet, especially if you sweat a lot and plan to wear your shorts while exercising. Look for shorts made from materials like nylon and polyester rather than cotton. You’ll also likely want a short that is made from a breathable fabric and stretchy.
If you’re wearing your cycling shorts as loungewear, you probably want the softest fabric and won’t necessarily care about compression.
Next, consider the inseam length that you want. It’s down to your personal preference, but if you’re a cyclist, you’ll be better off going with longer inseams to prevent chafing. If you’re just wearing them around town, you might prefer short biker shorts.
Also, if you’re an avid bike rider, consider getting a pair of shorts with built-in chamois padding (the cushion between you and your bike saddle) for extra comfort on your long rides. This is an important element if you’re doing serious cycling, so you may have to try a few pairs to get the right saddle protection, and there are even removable pads that can be inserted into whatever bike shorts you like best.
25 Best Bike Shorts
Here are 25 of the best women’s bike shorts – there’s a type for everyone! These are my top picks for women’s shorts for all kinds of activities.
Best Cycling Shorts
A number one seller on Amazon, these bike shorts are one of the best pairs for some serious cycling. They mostly come in black, but you have 72 options of what pop of color or pattern you want along the sides of the cycling short. The size range is inclusive, running from extra small up to 5x.
These shorts also have a lot of perks to keep you happy while on your bike! They’re made from polyester and spandex, have a thick chamois pad, and silicone grippers to keep shorts from riding up.
- 200g/m2 82% nylon18% spandex,fabric has good elasticity, more close to the skin ,quickdry.Fabric wicks sweat away from your skin,pulling it to the pant's surface and speeding evaporation.This keeps your body cool,dry and light ,so you can keep working hard
- Cycling pants comes with 3D gel padding inside padded is more thickness,suitable for long distance ridding
- Hem with slicone,let you in the process of riding trousers is more close to the skin, the sweat sucked dry quickly, reduce the production of lactic acid
- Reflective logos and constrat color are easy to see when you are working out in the early morning or nighttime
- *Suggest to buy one size up (INCHES) S:WAIST :21.2,HIP:28.3,INSEAM:7.2,THIGH:18.4;SIZE M : WAIST 22.8 ,HIP:30.3,INSEAM:7.5 ,THIGH: 19.4,SIZE L : WAIST 24.4, HIP:32.3 INSEAM 7.8 , THIGH :20.4 , SIZE XL : WAIST 26,HIP: 34.3,INSEAM 8 ,THIGH 21.4,SIZEXXL: WAIST 27.6,HIP:36.3 ,INSEAM:8.3 ,THIGH 22.4 ,SIZEXXXL:WAIST 29.2,HIP:38.3 ,INSEAM 8.6 ,THIGH 23.4
- Waistband stays in place
- A variety of sizes, color and pattern options
- May need to size up
Perfect for serious cyclists! These shorts are 100% leather (still breathable and quick drying!) and have chamois padding to keep you comfortable and avoid saddle sores no matter the distance. They also include reflective panels to keep you safe on the road.
There’s also a bib version of these shorts if you prefer that style.
- IDEAL FOR: Female cyclists who seek a sleek, comfortable Short made from high-quality, durable fabric and materials. The Prima Short offers the KISS Air2 Donna seat pad and thoughtfully designed anatomic construction to keep cyclists comfortable.
- PADDING: The women’s specific KISS AIR2 Donna chamois provides the perfect amount of comfort whether on long-distance or short rides.
- BREATHABILITY: Pro Dry Soft matte Lycra fabric construction has a smooth matte finish that feels cool on the skin while being very supportive and quick to dry.
- LEG BAND: Enhanced fit provided by GIRO3 engineered flat leg band which ensures a comfortable fit and ensures the shorts stay put.
- VISIBILITY AND SAFETY: Rear reflective panels stitched throughout for better visibility in low-light conditions.
Great for indoor cycling, these shorts are made with a silky-smooth compression fabric made of 50% nylon, 50% spandex. Features also include a double-layered waistband, seamless front, and the fabric is quick-drying.
- Inclusive sizing
- High waistband
- Only available in black
Top Exercise Shorts
These are my favorite bike shorts! I own multiple pairs of these and absolutely love them. They’re a good pair of shorts for marathon training when I run long distances or for just running errands!
This brand has three different inseam lengths and a variety of colors and patterns, and these bike shorts are good for all types of exercise. They have all the features you’ll want: they don’t ride up (in my experience!), have side pockets, and compression. These are incredibly soft shorts and feel like a second skin!
- High-Waisted Elevate Compression Womens Shorts - Approx. 5'' / 8" inseam (Size Chart on The Left of SIZE SELECTION).
- Features - Seamless waistband, squat proof, buttery soft, 4 way-stretch, sweat wicking and spacious side pockets.
- Stylish & Sustainable - Compression high waist over belly button, supportive, comfortable, fashionable, and stay put.
- Sunzel Women's Naked Feeling Bike Shorts - Perfect for yoga, cycling, volleyball, exercise, fitness, weightlifting, running, lounge, or everyday casual wear.
- Unique & Flattering Designs - Black, plain colors, leopard / cheetah, camouflage, snake, embossed zebra / crocodile / peacock / stone / leopard prints workout shorts for women.
- Moisture wicking
- Lots of pattern choices
- Run small
- Some reviewers said the shorts rode up a lot
These popular shorts on Amazon come in three different lengths and tons of color choices. These were the very first type of bike shorts that I ever bought. My sister and I (who is a different body type than me) both own and love them, so that definitely mean they must be one of the best bike shorts out there.
They’re not quite as soft as the Sunzel ones but have more structure to them, so you might find you like them best if you’re worried about your biker shorts riding up on you.
These are a good option for long walks, hiking or a cute athleisure look. They are moisture-wicking, breathable, anti-chafe, and have a side pocket for your phone.
- Moisture-wicking, breathable and stretchy fabric provides moderate compression
- High-rise, wide waistband creates no muffin top and provides maximum coverage while bending and stretching
- Our women's compression biker shorts feature 2 big side pockets, deep enough for 4" to 5.5" mobile phones
- Longer inseams provide ample coverage as you move from pose to pose and prevent thighs from rubbing. Gusseted crotch and chafe-free, ergonomic seams ensure a full range of motion and a comfortable wearing experience
- Perfect for yoga, biking, volleyball, exercise, fitness, weightlifting, running, workout, or everyday casual use
- Lightweight material
- High rise fit
- Not a lot of compression
Made from a polyester spandex blend, you’ll be cool throughout your workout with this women’s high-waist bike short! The seamless waistband sits at your natural waistline and the shorts have side pockets. They are available in neutrals, colors, and fun patterns.
- Crafted from a brushed, buttery soft and stretch fabric for delivering you the naked sensation and the unrestricted movement
- Side pockets allow you to store your personal items when you’re on the go
- Seamless waistband sits at the natural waist and feels light as air
- Turn your gear inside out when washing. Wash separately, air dry or tumble dry low
- Approx. 6" inseam
- Buttery soft material
Another great option are Vuori! I own a pair of these, and they’re amazing. They’re a great choice for everything from running longer distances to yoga to wearing out with friends.
These high-rise, no slip shorts are great for any type of exercise. They have no side seams, giving you a sleek and comfortable fit.
- Soft and comfortable
- Good stretch
- No side pockets
These lightweight and comfortable shorts will help you get through a tough workout. The nylon, lycra and polyester combo feels great when you’re working up a sweat. They’ll stay in place the whole time, and they come in nine color options.
- Comfortable waistband
- Buttery soft
- Some colors can be see-through
Bike shorts don’t always have to be for biking! These lululemon shorts are designed specifically for yoga and have a soft, breathable, buttery feel. And you know lululemon is a top brand for great athletic wear and knows how bodies move.
These shorts come in a variety of neutral colors and a few bright colors. They also come in a few different lengths if 8 inches isn’t what you want!
- Hidden waistband pocket to fit credit card and keys
- High rise
- May need to size up
These bike shorts are super size-inclusive, running from 00-40. Designed with sweat-wicking material and side pockets, these shorts are great for all kinds of active activities.
- Good coverage
- Only available in three colors
This comfortable bike short is a crowd favorite! It has a crossover waistband that makes it flattering on all body types. These soft bike shorts are well-loved by reviewers and would be best for yoga or low sweat activities.
- Many sizes
- Some found the material to be too thin
How fun are these star print bike shorts? They’re lightweight with high compression and best for running or everyday activities. The three-inch waistband provides compression, which is something many reviewers love!
- Moisture-wicking fabric
- Wide waistband
These bike shorts are made from 80% recycled materials. They’re designed to have a lightweight feel and have an extra high waist. These are best for low to moderate activity.
- Interior front pocket
- Only comes in one color
If you’re all about the fun patterns, you’ll love Beach Riot’s variety. From bright colors to neon pink print, you’ll be able to sport a fun look while exercising. They’re also super cute with an oversized T-shirt. These are a good high-waisted pair of compression shorts.
- Fun patterns
- High waistband
- Limited sizes
No matter how you choose to work out, Zella has you covered with these shorts. Designed with a moisture-wicking fabric, you’ll be comfortable all day long. The shorts won’t rub or irritate your skin and there are side pockets to store whatever you need while you’re on the go.
- Side pockets
- High waisted
- May need to size up if you’re between sizes
Available in five colors and eight sizes, Girlfriend Collective has a bike short that’s perfect for everyone! The shorts are made from recycled plastic bottles and won’t ride up.
- A variety of sizes and colors
- Runs small, size up
These shorts have an ultra-tight compression and are fast drying. A hard workout has nothing on these shorts – they’re made with anti-odor technology and the material wicks sweat.
- Locked-in UA Compression fit makes you feel more powerful
- Super-light HeatGear fabric delivers superior coverage without weighing you down
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes better through passion, design and the relentless pursuit of innovation
- Chafe-free fit
- Rides up
Available in either black or grey, these bike shorts are made from a stretchy, moisture-wicking fabric. This cotton blend is sure to keep you comfortable on your ride or throughout your workout.
- Moisture wicking
- Runs small
Available in three colors, these shorts from Athleta are best for yoga or studio workouts. They’ll feel buttery soft and include a three-layer waistband and back pocket for things like your phone, keys, or cards.
- A wide range of sizes (XXS-3X)
- Ride up a little bit
Perfect for yoga, studio practice, running, and outdoor hikes, these shorts come in a variety of fun colors. They’re super soft and have a gentle compression. The material is sweat-wicking and anti-chafe, so you’ll be comfortable all day.
- THE FIT: High-rise waist; 5" / 6" / 6.5" inseam for option
- THE FEEL: Brushed, peachy soft, second skin feel, gentle compression
- PERFORMANCE: 4-way stretch, breathable and sweat-wicking
- FEATURES: Flatlock seams minimize chafing, opaque fabric squat proof
- BEST FOR: Yoga, pilates and studio practice, running and outdoor hiking
- High waisted and fitted silhouette
- Runs small
These comfy bike shorts are stretchy and breathable. They pass the squat test and you’ll look stylish working out!
Sweaty Betty also makes padded bike shorts for cyclists!
- High-rise waistband
- Stretchy material
- Only comes in black
Best Everyday/Loungewear Shorts
A steal at only $10 on Amazon, these comfortable bike shorts are are the best shorts for lounging around the house or to throw on with a sweatshirt when running errands (gives me serious Princess Diana vibes!). Everyone will be satisfied with these shorts – they come in over 60 colors and run in sizes small up to a triple X.
- High waist styling , mid thigh length leggings
- Close-cut body-conscious fit, Elastic waistband, pull-on style
- Lightweight solid stretch cotton jersey fabric
- Fits true to size, take your normal size, S = Size(2-4), M = Size(6-8), L = Size(10-12), XL = Size(14-16) | NOTICE: Before order, please carefully read the Size Chart we provided in the pictures (Not Amazon size chart)
- Model size : 5'3" height, 34" bust, 24" waist, 34" hip, and is wearing a size S
- Flattering for all body types
- A wide range of colors and sizes
- Made out of cotton, so not meant for exercising
When you need some cozy shorts to wear when the weather starts to get colder, look no farther than these knitted shorts! These are made from a blend of organic cotton, nylon, and silk. You can also pair it with the matching top from the brand’s website to have a full matching set.
- Only comes in two colors
At only $12, these bike shorts are great for everything from grocery store runs to gym workouts. They’re breathable, high-waisted, and come in either solid black or cheetah print.
- Good price
- The material is semi-sheer
How fun are these faux leather shorts? These shorts have your best interests in mind – they have a shaping waistband, a contoured design, and no center seam so you can avoid camel toe. Plus, these shorts are stylish!
- Slimming effect features
- Not meant for workouts
Whether you’re about to hit the trails, pedal in a spin class, go to your next sweat session, or just want a comfortable short to wear around town, bike shorts are the trend to try! Look stylish and feel comfortable the whole time no matter what you do when you find the best pair for you!
If you’re looking for more comfy shorts, check out my post where my sister and I tried on a bunch and picked our favorites!
If you want more options for workout gear, try one of these brands that makes sustainable athletic wear.