A diaper bag is one of the most essential parent gears. They’re a necessity no parent can do without.
And every parent has faced the awkwardness of carrying bulky, often hideous-looking diaper bags to dinners and movie nights. Not only can these bags look unappealing but some of them don’t even fulfill their purpose.
But, what if we tell you that there are some excellent backpacks that make for efficient diaper bags too?
I used a traditional diaper bag – one with one strap shoulder bag after I had my first baby. And while it did the job, it wasn’t my favorite. It also wasn’t my husband’s favorite either!
We had our first 2 kids 18 months apart so I was oftentimes carrying a carseat and an 18 month old at the same time which left little room for a messenger bag as my diaper bag. I needed a backpack. And quick.
I actually immediately put all of my diaper diaper bag essentials in a backpack I already owned (a Lululemon one) and quickly realized that backpacks were WAY better than a one strap diaper bag!
Once I realized that I quickly started looking for a backpack that was actually a diaper bag rather than using the one I had. Diaper bag backpacks have the necessary organization you need in a diaper bag like bottle pockets, insulated pockets, and more.
Before we get too far, here’s my 5 top picks! Keep reading for more details and reviews.
|Product Image||Product Name||Primary Button|
Why A Backpack Is The Best Type Of Diaper Bag
Compared to a regular diaper bag, a diaper backpack offer several benefits, making them a popular choice for carrying baby necessities.
If you are someone who likes being prepared for baby emergencies when out and about whether you’re heading out to dinner or going to a play date (and trust us, there will be many) and thus carries your whole world inside a bag, a backpack is a perfect choice.
Here are a few more reasons why backpacks should be your diaper bag of choice.
A diaper backpack comes in diverse shapes, colors, and sizes. That means you don’t have to use the bag only for carrying around baby necessities.
Whether you have to pack for a weekend getaway or go out for a quick shopping trip with your kid, backpacks are versatile bags that can be used for every occasion.
This also increases the longevity of your bag! I have several backpack diaper bags and since my youngest is 2.5, I don’t need quite as much stuff every time I leave the house. But these backpacks still are in heavy rotation from weekends to the cabin or even carrying my work stuff!
Bonus – my husband loves them too!
Standard shoulder diaper bags can put excessive pressure on your shoulders and arms because of uneven weight distribution. That’s not the case with diaper bag backpacks.
Diaper bag backpacks are efficiently built with padded straps and some with a padded back, so they do not put a strain on your neck or body. Sling them comfortably on your back, and they leave you hands-free to do other things (like carry carseats, babies, etc.!
Efficiency is a major factor to consider when purchasing any baby bag, and this is the highlight of a diaper backpack.
Not only does a diaper backpack leave you hands-free, so you can carry your little one or engage in different tasks, but these bags also have multiple compartments and plenty of space to organize your baby’s essentials along with a few personal items.
You don’t want to be digging through one giant compartment for that lost pacifier when your child is screaming during the middle of dinner. Some of the best diaper bags on this list of special compartments for all of baby’s necessities.
A diaper backpack look quite different from standard diaper bags. They often have a unisex design, making them ideal for moms and dads alike.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Backpack
Before you invest in a good diaper bag, there are a few factors that you should take into account:
- The bag should be large enough to hold all the essentials without creating clutter.
- The bag should be adaptable for both men and women.
- There should be multiple compartments and pockets to ensure optimal organization.
- The interiors should be insulated for storing milk or food.
- The straps of the bag should be comfortable, and the design of the bag should be ergonomic so that it does not strain your shoulders or back.
19 Best Diaper Backpacks for Mom & Dad
Paisley + Sparrow is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This post may include affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you shop using the links below at no additional cost to you.
Finding a bag that meets your personal preferences and requirements can be challenging. To make it easy, here’s a curated list of the 19 best diaper bag backpacks for you to pick from.
1. Best Overall – Dagne Dover Indi Diaper Backpack
Looks like a backpack. Holds all of your essentials. Best for:
- New parents on-the-go
- Hands-free wrangling
- Carrying it all
- Clipping to a stroller
- Extra zipper opening for easy access wipes
- Includes mini changing mat + extra pouches
- Luggage sleeve = perfect travel buddy
- Laptop carrier - fits most 15” laptops
- Repreve® recycled lining + shoe bag + dust bag
- 100% vegan
If you’re looking for style AND function, look no further than this one. It has everything from a clip for your stroller to a luggage sleeve to a laptop carrier.
It comes in a variety of different colors and even different sizes! This is one of the best backpacks and worth every penny.
2. Best For Dads: Eddie Bauer Places & Spaces Bridgeport Diaper Bag
- Exceptional organization with 7 pockets and spacious interior for ultimate storage
- One exterior and 2 interior insulated bottle pockets
- Secure zippered pocket offers quick access to personal belongings
- Removable changing pad included for on-the-go diapering
- Side pocket holds wipes case with easy pop-open top.Comfortable to carry with adjustable padded shoulder straps
Why should only moms get their pick of stylish and functional diaper bags? The Eddie Bauer diaper bag is a perfect fit for all the dads out there.
Made from 100% polyester, this diaper bag is available in three different colors — black, gray, and gray/tan. It is incredibly spacious, has seven pockets to stay organized, 1 outside and 2 interior insulated bottle pockets and is highly durable.
There is a removable changing pad and side pocket for holding wipes to make them easily accessible!
3. Most Unique Design – Huhu
- Magnetic clasp so you can open and close the bag with just one hand
- Expandable exterior bottle pockets
- 7 storage pockets to keep your stuff organized
- Adjustable interior shelf for versatile packing options
- 2 extra storage pouches
- Waterproof changing pad
- Fully wipeable exterior and interior
A new-to-me diaper bag is the Huhu bag! This is truly the most unique bag I’ve ever owned. It has a one handed opening mechanism to allow you to open up your bag simply by pulling a strap – perfect for when you have a newborn baby or wiggly toddler in your arms.
It has 2 side zippers that zip all the way down giving you easy access to what’s inside. There’s an adjustable interior divider shelf inside the bag that gives the option to separate things from one another. This helps you easily keep emergency items or soiled clothes away from essentials like diapers or snacks.
It has stretchy external pockets for water bottles or milk bottles as well as other pockets for mom (or dad’s) essentials like keys and wallets.
If you’re looking for a comfortable unique bag that will grow with you, this is a fantastic option!
4. Best For Travel: Beaba Wellington
This diaper backpack is thoughtfully designed with large, structured opening and wide padded straps for convenience and comfort. It features a roomy main compartment with space for diapers and dirty laundry, as well as eight pockets—inside and out—to store all of the needed essentials. It also comes with an isothermal pouch, padded changing mat and stroller straps.
- Top zip closure
- Top carry handles; backpack straps; luggage sleeve
- Exterior zip and slip pockets; stroller straps
- Interior pockets; removable isothermal pouch; removable padded changing mat
- Padded back panel
- Protective metal feet
Hands down the trendiest and the most convenient backpacks for avid travelers! A dream for organizers, all the items placed inside the Wellington diaper bag are easily accessible. No more rifling around in the bag to find what you need!
There’s a large opening on the top (like a doctor’s bag) making it incredibly easy to access everything inside. This diaper bag has an isothermal pouch, padded changing mat and stroller straps. It’s also water-resistant!
Traveling requires you to do extra packing, for which you need a bag big enough like the Wellington. Its ample storage space will keep your travel blues away.
5. 7AM BK718 Diaper Backpack
This backpack named after New York's most diverse borough works as a diaper carryall or school bag with lots of different storage compartments. Not only does it have ten pockets—inside and out—but it also features a laptop sleeve and a suitcase sleeve for easy traveling on the weekends.
Want to be stress-free and hands-free while on a trip with a kid? The 7AM Enfant diaper backpack is just what you need. It is a lightweight, machine-washable sturdy travel companion.
With three exterior pockets, seven interior pockets, adjustable shoulder straps, two stroller straps, cushioned pads, a wallet pocket, a laptop sleeve, and a suitcase handle, the bag offers an endless list of features that are excellent for traveling.
6. Best For Stylish Moms: The Mini Classic Bag By The Freshly Picked
- Features 10 pockets, a spacious central compartment for larger items, easy access magnetic front flap, a grab-and-go top handle and an electronics sleeve
- Use this diaper bag as a backpack, crossbody bag or purse
- Premium quality vegan leather with a wipeable and stain-resistant nylon interior lining and nylon changing pad
- Premium easy glide YKK zippers and custom matte gold hardware
- Features metal feet on the bottom, so the bag stays germ free and never touches the ground
The Freshly Picked’s Mini Classic bag II is perfect when you are out for lunch or dinner with your kids. Super cute and compact, the bag has an insulated interior pocket, bumped out side pockets is spill-proof, water-resistant, and helps you stay organized.
It also has adjustable straps so you can wear the bag comfortably any way you like and “grab and go” top handle to easily toss it in the car as you head out! This is a great bag for everyday use even long after it’s a diaper bag!
7. Most Stylish: The Classic City Pack II By The Freshly Picked
- If you’re into keeping your life stylish and functional, then this diaper bag is for you. Fit everything a mom (or dad) needs on the go needs plus a 15 Inch laptop sleeve.
- Made from super lightweight, durable, and wipeable vegan leather with padded shoulder straps for added comfort and easy access wide double zipper main compartment.
- Freshly Picked designs products for moms by moms. Quality vegan leather with a wipeable and stain-resistant nylon interior lining. Premium easy glide YKK zippers and custom matte gold hardware. Nylon changing pad included.
Another excellent pick from The Freshly Picked is their Classic City Pack II. Made out of vegan leather, the bag also doubles up as a laptop bag, travel bag, and work bag. It has an insulated pocket inside where you can safely keep your eatables. And the padded shoulder pads make this pretty bag immensely comfortable to put on.
It comes in beautiful colors (like blush pink!) and is a great option!
Check out my Freshly Picked review here!
8. Best For Hiking: Columbia Baby Diaper Bag
- Large backpack designed for parents to easily store diapers, bottles, snacks, and other products; Perfect for traveling, family outings, park days, and more
- Main compartment has multiple organizer pockets, a pacifier pocket, and a wipe-clean floor with a wipe-clean portable change mat; Secondary compartment holds tablets or accessories; Has two zippered and two mesh exterior pockets
- Designed with a thermal bottle pocket using radiant barrier technology that reflects heat instead of absorbing it to keep food and bottles cold and fresh
When you’re on a hike, you want a bag that’s sturdy and won’t keep your hands engaged. The Columbia Baby Diaper Bag is a functional bag that’ll provide the best hiking experience for you and your kid.
Available in two colors, black, and rust, this bag has multiple pockets and compartments that are insulated and padded for ease of use. A durable bag perfect for the outdoors!
9. RUVALINO Travel Backpack
- Spacious enough to hold most essentials and still look perfectly organized and compact, without being too large or too small. Insulated bottle pockets can hold most of wide neck or tall bottles, from 5 oz to 11oz.
- The interior of our diaper bag includes a padded laptop pocket, mesh pocket organizers and other organization essentials. Maintain the temperature of your bottles in the insulated pockets, never lose your keys and wallet in the mommy pocket, and quickly grab a diaper out of the mesh diaper organizer.
The RUVALINO travel backpack is spacious enough for all your baby’s requirements — sixteen compartments, multiple pockets, and, best of all, an in-built changing pad. There’s a “mommy pocket” to put your keys and wallet so you don’t have to put them with all the gear and a convenient mesh diaper organizer! It’s opens up extra wide to hep you find what you need quickly and easily!
With the padded shoulders of this backpack comfortably held on your back, hiking becomes effortlessly convenient.
10. Best Organized: Itzy Ritzy Diaper Bag Backpack
- The Itzy Ritzy is as stylish as it is functional! Our vegan leather backpack diaper bags are roomy and have enough pockets to keep you organized while on-the-go.
- This chic diaper bag features 17 total pockets - 10 internal and 7 external - including two insulated bottle pockets, a felt-lined valuables pocket and an easy-access "parent pocket" to keep mom and dad's essentials within reach
- Each Itzy Ritzy includes coordinating stroller clips and an easy-wipe changing pad with "head" and "toes" printed on the inside. The changing pad has its own zippered pocket on the back of the bag, providing extra cushion.
When you are on the go and running out of time, the Itzy Ritzy diaper backpack works wonders to keep you organized. With a total of 17 pockets, 7 outside and 10 inside, you can put all your necessities in one bag without juggling multiple items.
It even includes a felt lined valuables pocket and “parent pocket” for you cell phone and credit cards! The adjustable straps and the rubber feet on the bottom of the bag are bonuses!
11. Best Multi-Function: Skip Hop Forma Diaper Bag Backpack
Skip Hop is a well known name in the baby space and these diaper bags get amazing reviews! They look beautiful with their quilted exterior and has 2 insulated side bottle pockets, changing pad, laptop pocket and more.
12. Best For Strollers: Nappy Bag Upsimples
This is a nappy bag full of details designed for moments when you are out. Reach out single-handed to side slot for wipes, put your cellphone or wallet into the anti-thief pocket in the back; attach the diaper bag to a pram with 2 straps included in the package. We also add USB charging port and cable , so that you can use&charge your cellphone conveniently.
What’s better than a backpack that can be carried on your shoulders? A backpack that can be easily attached to your baby’s stroller! The Upsimples diaper bag is comfortable, stylish, and functional.
It comes with two detachable straps that can be attached to the stroller. The bag also has a USB charging port so you can conveniently charge your devices using your power bank on the go.
There’s also an antitheft zippered pocket to keep your valuables secure!
13. Diaper Bag By BabbleRoo
- What You'll Get - A spacious enough diaper bag (size: 12"x8"x16.5", 26L), an easy wipe-clean foldable changing mat (size: 23''x14.5"), features stroller straps, and a detachable pacifier holder.
- Tons of Storage - Well-organized structure, have all sorts of useful pockets, features and gizmos. Includes 2 main compartment, 5 insulated pockets (Fit for All Major Bottles), a wipe pocket, a key loop, and a dedicated multi-function changing pad pocket holds tablets and laptops up to 15.6". Multiple pockets with easy-glide zippers makes this nappy changing backpack easily accessible with one hand.
Generously spacious with multiple pockets, the BabbleRoo backpack includes a foldable changing pad, a separate pacifier holder, as well as stroller straps.
The bag also has stroller clips that make attaching the backpack to the stroller even more convenient. The shoulder straps are also cushioned to provide optimum comfort.
14. Best Budget: HaloVa Diaper Bag
- Backpack & Tote 2 in 1, 24L Large Capacity, 1.6lb Lightweight.
- Has all the space & pockets you need for baby and mommy supplies.
- Waterproof & durable oxford fabric, no-odor, load up to 40lbs.
- Washable - Machine wash & Hand Wash.
- 2 years of quality problems free replacement.
If you want a lightweight bag, comes in an array of colors and styles, can hold sizable items, and is budget-friendly, the HaloVa Diaper Bag should be your first choice.
This sturdy bag can hold up to 40 lbs of weight without damaging the fabric. The bag is made of oxford fabric that is odor-free, resistant to damage, and can be both hand-washed and machine-washed.
15. Best Vegan Leather Diaper Bag: Mominside Leather Bag
- Vegan Leather
- Made of durable, wipe-clean vegan leather and waterproof nylon. Mominside diaper bag with insulated pocket,Keep bottles warm/ cold in the insulated pockets. A luggage strap is quite convenient for you to fix the backpack on the trolley of your luggage. Great for heading out for a long day! Unisex design nappy bag, a perfect shower gift for moms and dads.
This exquisite leather backpack by Mominside is as stylish as it is comfortable. The bag comes with insulated pockets for easy food storage and is easy to clean.
Considering how compact and beautiful the bag looks, you would be surprised to know that it comes with 15 pockets to store all your baby items in an organized manner.
16. Kah&Kee Faux-Leather Bag
- Back Mesh Design More Breathable
- Padded Laptop Compartment Fits Most Laptop 13"
This faux leather diaper bag is one of the cutest diaper bags you will ever own. It looks nothing like your conventional diaper bags yet offers the same, if not better, features.
Available in a variety of colors, the bag is quite spacious and can even be used as a laptop bag.
17. Best Cooler Bag: Obersee Oslo Diaper Bag Backpack
Our unique diaper backpack has a removable, insulated cooler pouch that can fit several bottles, lunch, or snacks. This baby bag has several pockets and compartments, making it the perfect baby supplies organizer. Whether you’re on a summer trip with the family, going to the gym, or just going about a typical day, this breathable bag is perfect to take along.
This one-of-a-kind backpack wins on both practicality and looks. Made of pure polyester material, the bag provides enormous storage capacity. It has a detachable cooler pouch that is insulated and can easily accommodate a couple of bottles.
It has an included changing pad with a dedicated pocket for wipes and the large main pocket has enough space for a diapers, wipes, a change of clothes and all the items that baby needs! It’s a great bag to take along on a summer getaway when you want your child’s food and drink to remain fresh and cool.
19. Best Small Business: Austin Fowler Backpack (Use code PAISLEY15 for 15% off!)
This lightweight and beautifully designed backpack with its versatile style and classic design can easily be used as a diaper bag, work bag, a travel bag, or for any other purpose.
Offering all the features expected in a good diaper backpack, the Austin Fowler backpacks, this is the one that I’ve personally used for over 4 years!
Austin Fowler was created by a mom of twins who wanted more organization. You know a good product when it was created to solve someone’s own problems!
This backpack comes with two insulated pockets on the outside, six separate pockets inside, a zipper pocket to secure smaller items, and two luggage sleeves that help to attach the bag to a stroller.
It’s a sturdy bag that can accommodate all your baby supplies while looking absolutely stunning!
If you have a baby and want an easy way to carry all the essentials, diaper bags are a necessity. From wipes and towels to snacks, sippy cups, pacifiers, bottles, and of course, diapers, all these supplies can be easily stored in a diaper bag.
Yes, you can. While regular bags are not designed for your baby’s necessities, they can double as diaper bags. What you need to ensure is that the bag is made of durable material, can withstand weight, and preferably has multiple compartments, which most regular bags do not offer.
Most diaper bags also come with insulated pockets and are made of easy-to-clean materials to soak up spillage.
While organizing your diaper bag, the major concern is avoiding unnecessary clutter. You should be able to easily access what you need without having to rummage around.
Try to use sample-size products that you can restock every time you head out. Some essential items that you must have in your diaper bag are diapers, creams, towels, wipes, milk bottles, pacifiers, an extra pair of clothes, small toys, and snacks.
You can carry a diaper bag for as long as it is convenient for you. If your child is potty trained and you don’t need a separate bag to carry their essentials, you can stop using a diaper bag.
And if you find a diaper bag convenient for carrying essentials like clothes, food, or wipes even after your kid is potty trained, you can continue using a diaper bag.
Diapers, cream, water bottles, food, wipes — there’s so much you need to carry with you when you’re out and about with your baby. A diaper backpack is not only a convenient organizational tool but also a very comfortable option for parents on the go!
I hope this list of some of the most popular diaper backpacks available today helps you pick the best backpack diaper bag for your needs!
I bet you’re dying to know what you actually need to put inside your diaper bag! Check out this post for my diaper bag essentials!
Love coordinating with your little one? Here’s the best places to shop for mommy and me outfits!